View Position Description
- Want to work for a leading not-for-profit animal welfare organisation?
- Do you want to be on the frontline investigating animal cruelty?
- Operate across Ballarat and Regional Western Victoria as an RSPCA Victoria Inspector
- Permanent Full-Time Position
About the RSPCA
We are a leading animal welfare charity that works to prevent cruelty to animals by actively promoting their care and protection through awareness campaigns and education programs. Across Victoria we offer community services including the work undertaken by our Inspectorate, veterinary clinics and animal care teams.
About the role
Your role as a RSPCA Victoria Inspector will be to enforce Victoria’s animal welfare legislation and educate the community about appropriate animal care. You will operate in regional Western Victoria and supporting state-wide Inspectorate operations, you’ll participate in a wide and varied range of activities, from, but not restricted to, investigating animal welfare complaints, prosecuting non-compliant owners, through to educating the community on looking after animals in their care.
RSPCA Inspectors investigate complaints against all kinds of animals in all kinds of situations from private owners to commercial operators working in conjunction with other relevant animal welfare and regulatory bodies. The most common complaints Inspectors attend are failure to provide sufficient food, water, shelter or veterinary treatment.
This diverse and interesting role will challenge you by giving you the opportunity to:
- Be on the frontline of animal protection and welfare when responding to animal welfare and cruelty reports;
- Conduct comprehensive investigations, prepare briefs of evidence and attend court;
- Carry out inspections and assist animals in need;
- Educate and provide advice to owners about animal care and legal responsibilities;
- Help people help animals;
- Participate in community engagement activities and RSPCA education programs;
- Travel, as you’ll be expected to support state-wide operations as required with frequent long distance travel, overnight stays including after hours and weekend work.
Skills and Experience
- Strong people and communication skills as well as experience in conflict resolution;
- Aptitude for reading, interpreting and applying legislation – previous experience in a regulatory role will be highly regarded;
- Sound report writing skills in a variety of formats, both written and electronic;
- Ability to work well under pressure and work autonomously;
- Ability to engage and influence a variety of different people;
- Be organised, a good problem solver and a team player;
- Experience in animal care, husbandry and handling, including horses and livestock is highly desirable; and
- Preferably live in and have good local knowledge and existing networks in the Ballarat/Regional Western Region of Victoria
Due to the nature of the work, you’ll also need to be able to operate effectively in a physically demanding as well as emotionally demanding environment.
Qualifications & Other Requirements
- Tertiary qualification in a relevant field will be highly regarded;
- Victorian drivers’ licence is essential;
- Ability to obtain and hold a Victorian firearms’ licence;
- Pre-placement assessment including medical examination and criminal history check.
How to Apply
This is an incredible opportunity to join a dedicated and passionate team making a difference to animals in need. The role of an RSPCA Inspector can be very rewarding in terms of making a real difference to the well-being of animals and in educating owners who care for them.
If you believe you can make a difference to the protection and welfare of all animals then please visit the advertisement for this position on our website at www.rspcavic.org to download the position description (top right-hand corner) and to apply online as soon as possible.
Click Apply Online to submit your application. Applications close Midnight on 10 December 2019.
For further information please contact Sharna Fitt, Inspectorate Team Leader East on firstname.lastname@example.org.